Welcome to the Official "Rocky Mountain Nakoda" Website!
The critically endangered Aboriginal language of the Ĩyãħé Nakoda is proudly introduced on this important website! Translated into the English language, Ĩyãħé Nakoda means "Mountain People".
Based on oral history, the original form of speech of the Ĩyãħé Nakoda is presented here. It is a distinct dialect that, since time immemorial, has been passed down from generation to generation.
This independent website is a modern means to communicate, standardize, maintain, and accurately preserve the authentic ancestral Ĩyãħé Nakoda language for current and future generations!
For educational purposes, content includes the four language skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and the three language systems (grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation).
Bookmark the Rocky Mountain Nakoda website! Enjoy your experience, and do return often! Please feel free to share this important website with others!
This unique Rocky Mountain Nakoda website is user friendly and is custom designed for easy access by:
- citizens of the Stoney Nakoda Nation in Alberta, Canada: the original speakers of the Ĩyãħé Nakoda language
- other indigenous peoples
- scholars who study Aboriginal language and culture
- interested members of the general public in Canada
- people throughout the world
This important Rocky Mountain Nakoda website has been specifically developed to make publicly available:
- words and phrases in the Ĩyãħé Nakoda language, which are accurately written and properly pronounced
- certain cultural values and protocols of the Ĩyãħé Nakoda
- authentic historical knowledge from Elders and Traditionalists
- ancestral stories and legends translated into the English language
- the opportunity for cross-cultural awareness and understanding